You can own a home and also have the freedom to leave it safely behind, with a little bit of foresight and planning. Below are a few highlighted ideas to keep in mind when anticipating your next holiday or getaway.
Ask a good friend, a trustworthy neighbor, or hire someone do a few small things to look after your home:
- Pick up the Mail
- Shovel snow from the public use sidewalks to avoid a fee, and as a security precaution, shovel the driveway.
- Take out the trash and return the bin to its storage place
- Let your pet(s) out each morning and evening, or care for them at their home
- Make sure everything looks secure
- Mow the lawn, if you plan to be gone for an extended time
- Care for your garden
Before you leave, to conserve energy, you should:
- Set the water heater to “vacation” mode, or turn down the temperature
- Turn down your thermostat in Winter, ideally to 55 degrees, or warm enough for plants and animals in the home, and to protect pipes from freezing
- Unplug electronics
For security reasons, you could:
- Keep a car parked in the driveway
- Set a couple lights to a timer to turn on and off automatically each evening
- Have a friend open curtains each morning and close them each evening so that it appears someone is home. Alternatively you could keep the curtains open.
- Remove valuables from window view
- Place smaller valuables in a safe
- Set up a home alarm system
- Make sure all doors and windows are secure
- Hire outside work to be done, like painting, landscaping, roofing, etc
Planned ahead, these few small steps can save you from worry while you are away.
Have a joy filled Thanksgiving!