4-Wheel Drive Required in Colorado?

Is this your perception of Colorado?! Read on...

Colorado is probably one of the most 4wd and SUV infested states in the 48 state area. It seems that the first thing folks do when relocating to Colorado is trade in their 2wd car for an expensive four wheel drive car or Sport Utility Vehicle in preparation for a “rugged Colorado winter.”

Subaru Outbacks, Lexus SUV’s, Land Rover’s, and of course plenty of different Toyota models seem to be the most popular choice for Colorado roads. The ironic thing, however, is that Colorado sees over 300 sunny days a year and a major snowstorm that is cause for not making it to the office only seems to happen once every few years. 98% of the time, you will do just fine with a front-wheel-drive car, and for the remaining 2% of the time, if conditions are really that bad, it won’t matter what kind of car you drive. In fact, Sport Utility Vehicles have one of the largest premium price markups in Colorado. Save your hard earned money and put it toward a hybrid – which will pay for itself in gas savings in a couple years if you typically put over 15,000 miles a year on your car. If you want to buy a car that will hold its own during the winter, just be sure not to get a rear wheel drive car. It’s the rear wheel drive cars you typically see stranded on the side of the road, and those cars are the reason everyone feels that it is necessry to get a four wheel drive car when they move to Colorado.